EuFMD and the Foot-and-Mouth Disease World Reference Laboratory based at the Pirbright Institute invite those working in foot-and-mouth disease (FMD) laboratories around the world to take part in the second edition of the online FMD Laboratory Investigation Training Course.
The course involves 14 hours of interactive e-learning content studied over a four week period. The course will begin on 20th February 2019.
The course will be tutored by experts from the Pirbright Institute and EuFMD and provides a unique opportunity to discuss all aspects of diagnostic testing with colleagues from around the world.
What will you learn?
After studying this course you should be able to:
- interact with field staff and guide them in collection and submission of appropriate, quality diagnostic samples;
- select appropriate diagnostic tests to detect FMD virus and FMD virus-specific antibodies, and interpret the results of these tests;
- describe the principles of accurate virus detection test methods and assays used for serology;
- outline techniques for further characterization of FMD virus including genomic sequencing and vaccine matching tests;
- explain the importance and basic principles of laboratory Quality Assurance;
- explain the key principles of biosecurity and biosafety measures to be carried out in an FMD laboratory.