Dr. Ganesh Kondabattula, Presently Principal Scientist at Immunology Lab., FMD Vaccine QC&QA Unit, Indian Veterinary Research Institute, Hebbal, Bengaluru, India. His current focus is on, development and improvement of vaccine adjuvants; Modulation of innate and adaptive immune response to FMD virus antigens, vaccines for enhanced immunogenicity.
Since 1994, he is working in Vaccine Production unit and involved in FMD Vaccine Production, Quality Control and Research at IVRI Bangalore (Biosafety Level 3 facility/lab). Worked in nearly 16 research projects, published 27 publications in various national & international journals, 5 Book chapters, 5 technical writings (Mannuals / Reports), 3 popular articles, 1 patent applied; 5 animal viral gene sequences (NCBI); presented 50 papers which included invited papers/abstracts/oral presentations in various national and international conferences/seminars organized by different scientific societies.
Salient achievements are,
With 23 years of experience in the field of FMD vaccinology/ virology contributed in the following areas,
• The vaccine production resulting in the millions of doses of FMD vaccine final product, generating revenue to ICAR-IVRI every year. For which the team got Certificate of Appreciation, dated 2 June, 2005 and 12 May 2008.
• Development and introduction of indigenous oil adjuvant technologies in the vaccine production, first time in the country and Transfer of Technology of oil adjuvanted vaccine technology for foot-and-mouth disease through NRDC-IVRI dated 5 May, 2006, generating revenue to ICAR-IVRI.
• Batch wise testing of FMD Vaccines, FMD Vaccines either monovalent or trivalent are tested regularly for their Sterility, Safety, Innocuity and Potency in cattle (Percentage protection of vaccine potency and PD50 method of vaccine testing).
• Quantitative and qualitative evaluation of foot-and-mouth disease (FMD) virus/ vaccine antigens by various immunological parameters, virus challenge experiments, estimation and purification of whole virus particles.
• Development of Vaccine adjuvants based on Macroemulsion/ Nanoemulsion/ Macroparticles and studies on their adjuvanticity.
• Vaccine trials / field studies in support of quality of FMD vaccines, traditional and new generation vaccines produced.
• Preparation of HS-FMD combined vaccine and its immunogenicity evaluation.
• TLR ligands of salmonella as vaccine adjuvants
• Developing correlates of protection for FMD vaccines: FMD vaccines produced both conventional and new generation vaccines have been tested by potency testing in target species to prove their effectiveness in conferring immunity.
• Expertise on Mononuclear phagocytes/Monocytes/Dendritic cells works Development of bovine dendritic cells platform to investigate interplay of dendritic cells in foot-mouth disease virus antigen presentation, in evaluating vaccine antigens.
• ELISPOT assay is used to measure the humoral immune response at single cell level as a replacement of challenge experiments in vaccine testing.
• Rinderpest virus cultivation in Vero cell-line, passaging of virulent viruses, diagnosis of field materials and development of animal side diagnostics.
• Molecular biological techniques like PCR, hybridization, cloning and nucleotide sequencing for Fowl adenovirus.
• Collection, in vitro cultivation and characterization of Ovine monocytes/ macrophages.
• Actively involved in graduate and postgraduate teaching, recognized as Post-graduate Faculty of Vet Immunology, IVRI and PG Faculty of Vet Microbiology, University of Agri. Sciences, Bangalore.
• Guided 15 MVSc/MSc/PhD students with brilliant perspectives and member-advisor for more than 38 Post-graduate students.